"how to use" resources about MPI module

Dear all,
MPI module existence in Scilab just came to my mind through the release note of recent Scilab 2023.1.0 . After checking MPI module installation along scilab installing Microsoft HPC Pack 2012 R2 (WIN10x64) I tried to run examples and it failed because “mpi.dll” not found. I guess this is because I don’t know how to deal with this remark in MPI help page:

Like any other MPI applications, Scilab/MPI as be started through the mpirun command usually with the argument -c to specify the number of nodes started.

May anyone help about demos (further documentation) of the MPI module (parallel computing) ?

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

Do you have a “mpi.dll” file in SCI/bin/?

Best regards.

Hi Vincent,
yes I do have mpi.dll and mpi.lib in SCI/Bin/ which is in my case :
C:\Users\usr\AppData\Local\scilab-2023.1.0\bin\

I did not restart my machine after installing the MPI runtime (but it was not requested ).

David

I just restarted my machine but it still fails equally.

--> cd SCI/modules/mpi\
 ans  =

"C:\Users\AppData\Local\scilab-2023.1.0\modules\mpi"

--> exec('C:\Users\AppData\Local\scilab-2023.1.0\modules\mpi\examples\MPIHelloWorld.sci', -1)

--> MPIHelloWorld()
à la ligne     5 de la fonction MPIHelloWorld ( C:\Users\AppData\Local\scilab-2023.1.0\modules\mpi\examples\MPIHelloWorld.sci ligne 5 )

Impossible de charger la librairie mpi.dll

line 5 is actually: MPI_Init(); // should have lambooted first

Hello David,

Can you try to install GitHub - lucasg/Dependencies: A rewrite of the old legacy software "depends.exe" in C# for Windows devs to troubleshoot dll load dependencies issues. and check that all dependencies of mpi.dll are available on your PC?

Vincent

Hi Vincent,

I just checked the mpi.dll dependencies with the tool you pointed out and it is actually missing only msmpi.dll . Do you know how to fix it ? I have msvc 2017 installed on the same machine.

David

Hi David,

It seems that the installation of “Microsoft HPC Pack 2012 R2” did not work. Can you try to install it again?

Thanks.
Vincent

Hi Vincent,

i checked the installer and I reinstalled the Microsoft HPC Pack 2012 R2 and the msmpi.dll referenced by SCI/bin/mpi.dll is not anywhere in my machine, neither in windows nor program/Microsoft HPC Pack 2012 R2 .
So it doesn’t run in my case, don’t know if any other scilaber tried to run on Windows as well ?.

David

Hello,

MS MPI is not part of HPC pack anymore and is now a separate download:

I tested on my computer: after running the installer, msmpi.dll is now in C:\windows\system32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

S.

1 Like

Thank you Stephane, now the HelloWorld() example is running properly. Let’s investigate further the MPI features…

David

2 Likes