Scilab 2024 on Arm Mac with Sonoma 14.0 fails with file r/w

Dear all,

I have installed ARM version of Scilab 2024,

1. File explorer is extremely slooow (10 or more seconds to change directory).
  2. When I am trying to save a zcos file, it blocks forever with a “busy” cursor.

(even giving full disk access to Scilab and sh does not help)

When I come back to scilab2023 everything works.

Any hints?

asarin

Do you experience the same problems with the 2024.0.0 Intel build ?

2024.0.0 Intel does not start at all.

When did you download it ? The image has been updated yesterday evening and at least one Mac M1 user has no problem starting it (see Trying to perform a simple GET request in Scilab - #6 by tomcolling).

just tried the actual versions (from both scilab.org and UTC , both arm and intel)

they work, very slow reading directories, and saving an xcos file leads to busy (rainbow disk) cursor and a banner “enregister sous” (i.e save as) forever.

OK. I will try to setup a Sonoma VM this evening. Maintaining a macOS version of Scilab across successive versions of macOS and hardware is an authentical headache !

On a freshly installed Sonoma M1 VM (using UTM, https://mac.getutm.app/). I don’t experience the slowness you reported, Scilab is rocket fast, besides the SSL problem reported elsewhere (Trying to perform a simple GET request in Scilab - #14 by mottelet). Can you tell me more about your eventual particular software/hardware setup ?

S.

Thank you for the effort. Nothing special: MacBook Air M2 13" , 16Gb . The only bad thing is that my Document folder is mirrored on iCloud. However, navigation is slow and saving .zcos impossible even for normal folders right on my disk

For me it is not critical, I will just downgrade to 2023.1.0

Bonne soirée

E

Please create a brand new basic user and try to run Scilab from there.

I have tested both the arm64 and intel versions of Scilab 2024.0.0 on my Macbook Pro with M1 Pro, and I have not noticed any significant difference in their directory navigation speed. However, the native arm version is faster overall.

Thanks Tom for the testimony.

S.

Hello all. I have the same problem as asarin but worst.
Scilab2024 work on the console, but does not open files. It waits forever.
I have MacOS sonoma Version 14.4.1 (23E224)

Hello,

Please provide an example, or describe how to reproduce the problem.

S.

I have opened Scilab and clicked on open a file, then it stays here forever.

PK

What do you mean ? Is it just that no file is listed in the window ? Can you click “Cancel” and get access to the command window ?

S.

See the “Troubleshooting” section at the page https://www.utc.fr/~mottelet/scilab_for_macOS.html.

S.

The mouse stays rotating and I get no reaction when clicking.