Is discourse Scilab to replace Scilab ML?

Hi everyone,
I’m wondering if the ambition for this discourse Scilab is to replace fully the former user mailing list in the end, meaning that MLs will be terminated after the test period?
Thanks for your comments,
David

Hi David,

No, the ML will still exist, at least until its traffics tends to zero (which can take a long time, see e.g. https://groups.google.com/g/comp.soft-sys.math.scilab which still has some nonspam posts from time to time). BTW the community has no hold on the ML (which has been always managed by the Scilab trademark owner) so this discourse instance is the occasion for us to self-organize a little bit.

S.

Hi Stephane,

In Mailing Lists | Scilab the list link is not discourse. Why if it has to be replaced?

Thanks,

Jean-Yves

The discourse initiative has been made independently of 3DS but the Scilab Team validated it as a modern alternative to the mailing list (ML). As I said above the ML will be kept alive as long as people will still use it, but a link to the Scilab discourse will probably appear on www.scilab.org in the next weeks or months. It is agreed with the Scilab Team that the discourse instance has to be hosted by another entity than 3DS, because it will be a central place for the community, composed of people coming (mostly, but not only) from the research/academic world like you and me. I proposed to do this at the UTC because we are already invested in Scilab development.

S.

Hi,

AFAIK there is no plan to shut down the mailing-lists. This Discourse aims to provide a “modern” UI alternative to welcome newcomers in a decent way :slight_smile: .

At some point, we (Scilab 3DS team) might also link this discourse on the www.scilab.org website as we don’t have an instance ourself.

Hi Clément,

I just checked that scilab’s discourse forum is not linked already from the Community web page hosted by 3DS, still mentionning only the mailing list as the place to discuss general topics between scilab users : is it possible to include the discourse forum in this page and every others ? or opening an issue in gitlab ?

David

That’s a good idea.

FYI gitlab does not track website modification (as it is really linked to Scilab source code). Let’s have this topic as the request :slight_smile: .

Hi David,

The community web page has been updated and now mentions this Discourse community: Community | Scilab

Vincent

3 Likes

Thank you @davidcl ,

“modern” is a really good point. As newbee I am very happy that you have created this discourse environment!

Thank you!